Friday, June 16, 2006

Richmond, Day 3


Yesterday was a productive day (I think --its hard to know what will be useful later on and what won't), and today has the makings of another good one. This morning I talked to a woman who was head of the GOP in her county in Georgia for a few years and is a member of various heritage groups. In addition to providing a lot of interesting information, she said she would help set up meetings for me once I'm in Atlanta. She's very well connected politically, so I hope she'll be a valuable resource.

Also, I think she's more sympathetic to the plight of a thesis writer because her daughter is a 2000 Harvard grad. She also cautioned me that many heritage groups such as the Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) and the Sons of the Confederate Veterans (SCV) would be wary of talking to me because they feel that they've been unfairly portrayed by the media. She specifically singled out Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic as a smear against such groups, even after group members had been very hospitable to Horwitz. She also cautioned that my Harvard affiliation might hurt me in this pursuit. Uh-oh.

Anyway, right now I'm at the VHS again and am looking at their photographic collections. They're a little skimpy on anything that isn't Robert E. Lee, so I'll have to find photos at some of the other museums about town.
I'm not exactly sure what I'll do after I leave the library today. Since I have no car, my options for getting around are very limited. And since I don't know the city that well, I'm not exactly sure where to go even if I had transportation to get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home